Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween decorations

Background: Last Saturday as I took a walk, I noticed all kinds of fun Halloween decorations. I came home, got the camera and took a second walk--boy, was the dog happy! She whimpers with joy whenever the leash is brought out. Since then, I tried many times to upload the pictures so I could blog. The Upload screen would appear and say "Done" but the pictures didn't appear! Very frustrating!!!

And so you have my excuse for no recent blogs.

On my walks I have discovered that some people really get excited about Halloween. It seems that this year there are a lot more yards with orange mini-lights in their bushes, or lighted rows of pumpkins (plastic) or other things. I prefer yard
decorations that are real, not plastic, such as straw, corn stalks, jack-o-lanterns and so on. And I like saving the lights for Christmas, to celebrate the Light of the world.

I have always enjoyed Halloween. It is the holiday in the middle of Fall, my favorite season of the year. It comes right after my birthday ( so my birthday cake was always an orange one, decorated like a jack-o-lantern). You get lots of candy, and you get to dress up in costumes. If the weather is nice, people actually get to see your costume. If it is cold (which happens about two out of three times), you try to incorporate a heavy coat into the theme you are trying to achieve. (It doesn't usually work). So the kids end up having to tell what they are supposed to be when they go to each door and announce "trick or treat!" We've had Halloweens where even with earmuffs, gloves and coats, we were tired of the chilly wind after about 20 minutes. Those little Snicker bars didn't seem to be worth it. Other times we have been able to run from house to house, for the entire 2 hours (6-8 pm) for the weather was so nice--even balmy--that we had no desire to go home yet. (I am included with the kids in that desire).

Then there was the night that Alice arrived at home after trick-or-treating, and found that she had a hole in her bag. There were only about 5 items remaining. Boy, was she sad! If it were a Hansel and Gretel situation, we could have followed her trail of candy.

1 comment:

  1. What fun decorations! Someone gave us some old autumn garlands with fall leaves and yesterday we put them above our windows and on top of the cupboards. There are no leaves changing colors here on Guam - except indoors!

    Growing up in Arizona, it's hard to imagine the problem with encorporating coats into your costume. At least you don't get the problem of others' costumes being too skimpy. We had plenty of scantily clad mermaids and the like.

    ReplyDelete