Monday, October 02, 2006

Ah! Autumn in Cedar Falls (by Mom Bailey)

Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. I love the smell of fallen leaves and I love to shuffle through them. I used to love the smell of burning leaves, but as that has been banned, I'll just have to remember that from my younger years. And our trees aren't big enough to put down enough leaves to rake, so sometimes, we "borrow" a tree at the state park, raking up huge piles of leaves, then running through them or burying one another.

I love the blazing colors of the maples--color that seems to be too brilliant to be natural, yet it is.
I love the clear blue skies of autumn. I love the crisp, light air after the heavy, humid air of summer.
Then of course, there is the harvest--the culmination of a summer of labor.

Alice, on a field trip a year ago, picking pumpkins.
So, for those of you who live in lands where autumn doesn't happen, these pictures are for you!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:25 PM

    Beautiful colors! I wish you lived closer to here--we spent an hour raking just the front yard today--and 4 of the 7 deciduous trees have barely lost any leaves. No need to adopt a state park tree--mine are available anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:01 PM

    Hey, I learned that in Arizona, the trees don't change colors. They're simply green one day, and then all dead and brown and on the ground the next (that rhymed!) So thanks for the pictures, Mom!

    ReplyDelete