Sunday, September 04, 2011

Camp-out Cooking

September 5th.                                                  A date that has been circled on our calendars; the date that our shipment is supposed to arrive in port.  We keep finding out information that would have been helpful in the decisions we made before we left.  Like, the shipment isn't allowed to leave the U.S. until we have our residency visa, which is not to be confused with the entry visa.  In order to get the residency visa, you have to already be living here and have documents proving that, and I had to have a medical exam as well (it was a pretty easy one though--blood pressure, urine sample, eye chart, etc).  THEN, they send word that your stuff can begin the journey.  And we keep praying that everything will make it quickly through customs.  There are no guarantees as to when we'll get it.
In the meantime, we are learning to make do, and we purchase those things we really need to have.  Like spices.  Cooking is pretty difficult without something to add flavor.  So, although they were at least $4 a piece, they're worth it!   We've also bought a wok and a pot.  Somehow, we're able to do all our cooking in these two utensils. (And a tiny microwave oven).  I looked especially for a wok with a non-stick surface (it has to double as a fry pan for eggs and such), and one with a flattened area in the middle (for frying pancakes, tortillas, etc.)  And it has worked marvelously well!  It is a pan I will use even after our stuff gets here.  We've had a lot of wonderful stir-fry meals.  
One thing we're getting more used to is how eggs are purchased.  You can buy them  individually, in a plastic bag, just like apples or bananas, or you can buy them in a box, like the one above, and get 5 dozen at a time.  I chose the box.  I was walking home carrying the groceries, and didn't think many eggs would still be whole if I bought them in a sack.             Every day, I run into new things I can't do, or could do better if I had something out of our shipment.  I guess there really is a reason for shipping all that stuff!               
For instance, a rolling pin.  One day I thought to make burritos and had dough made for the tortillas when I realized I didn't have a rolling pin!  I don't have any round bottles.  No round glasses or cups, either.  Then I remembered the roll of plastic wrap I had bought--and had taken a frustrating half-hour to get the first usable piece off to cover a bowl of food.   Sure enough, it worked very well!  The cardboard tube inside is a very sturdy one, and the plastic wrap doesn't stick to the dough.  I might still use it even after our shipment comes!


And in the end, it's all about feeding my family and keeping them happy.

Success!  

11 comments:

  1. After posting this, I saw that it posted as Sept. 4, 9:26 p.m. Well, it is actually Sept. 5, and it was 10:26 a.m. I guess Blogger thinks of me still in Iowa, and that is just fine! That's better than the Chinese knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so resourceful! What a clever idea to use your plastic wrap as a rolling pin. Here's hoping your shipment arrives on time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:20 PM

    Wow! Love reading this, Rosemary! Thanks for taking us on your journey!!!

    This is Julie Smith....I don't know how to do the response stuff on this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee Ryan8:56 AM

    Great morning read, keep it going

    ReplyDelete
  5. catherine10:18 AM

    Eggs in a bag??? That is so baffling! How would they all survive any sort of trip?

    Necessity is the mother of invention, and you are one creative Mother! I am amazed at what you come up with!

    By the way, my browser kept showing most of the post with weird formatting--with the text only one character wide. I hope I'm the only one with that problem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, are you using internet explorer? Darcy found she had the same problem viewing the blog on IE, but i didn't have a problem using chrome or firefox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. catherine5:58 PM

    Yep, good ol' IE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:56 PM

    Okay, I just checked this out with IE, and it's impossible to read! The formatting is wrong on all the posts. How do I fix this so it posts correctly in both browsers? And, I'm having a hard time actually getting this comment to post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:57 PM

    By the way, that last comment was from me, Rosemary, the author of the post. I could only get it to publish as anonymous, since I hadn't already signed into gmail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a simple solution. Just use Chrome or Firefox. IE is so outdated anyway, everyone would be better off using Chrome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:11 PM

    I
    l
    o
    v
    e
    i
    t
    !

    ReplyDelete