Sunday, September 17, 2006

First Day of School and more

Seeing Elizabeth and Alice off on the first day of school brought past events to mind. One of my favorite "back-to-school" pictures was this one. Deborah was so sad to not be going to school with the others. Ryan is in kindergarten, Justin is in 2nd grade and Catherine is in 4th grade. Love those shorts Justin! But then Deborah is still in her nightgown. (1987)

Then, two years later, all were off to school--the same elementary school in fact. Kindergarten, 2nd, 4th and 6th grades! Those teachers scheduled our family first for parent-teacher conferences (so there were no conflicts), then scheduled other families. I spent a lot of time volunteering in one way or another. Is this what is meant by stair-step children? (l989)

Or here we have the "Cingular--raising the bars" grouping. (Elle thought of that name--she's been watching too many TV commercials).


And although this isn't a first-day-of-school picture, it is a picture from school (the talent show). Who could forget our Under the Bamboo Tree number? Oh, the memories! Aaron was asking us what drove us to do all those talent show acts and we decided that we'd seen one family do some minor act at a ward talent show and we thought, "Hey, we could do that with our family, or do even better!" The rest is history...


8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:07 PM

    Yes, I've always wondered why we did do those talent show numbers. So that's why. Let's see how many I can remember. There was Ugly Bug Ball, The Bamboo Tree of course, Bobbing Along (What do you call a guy floating in the ocean?) The Bear Necessities, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and I can't think of any more. Can anyone else think of one I've missed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Fortuosity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH YEAH! I knew I was forgetting some. I remember pulling those four-leaf clovers out of our pants, to show that they might be found. I think my favorite of all of them was Bobbing Along, with the Bamboo tree as a close second. Or maybe the other way around...

    ~Justin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:40 PM

    I remember our last one (Mr. Sandman with the large popsicles), which pretty much made it obvious that we wouldn't be doing it again--and I knew I wasn't going to miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, you did Mr. Sandman again? I remember doing that one when we were little, with the big lollipops, but when did you do it again?

    ~Justin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:27 PM

    hey I think you've all forgotten..."it's a jolly holiday with ellie" it was just a little bit embarassing, and ryan wouldn't sing it with us, so he played the piano. It was probably the low point for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:10 PM

    Deborah, I don't even remember that! It was probably such a low point for me that I blacked it out from any memory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:30 AM

    That must have happened after you came back from France, because I don't remember that either. And I remember all the other ones we had with Ellie, so it wasn't before. Don't worry, Catherine, you're not losing your mind!

    ReplyDelete