Monday, October 15, 2007

You asked for it--you got it!

DEATH BY CHOCOLATE ("DER TOD VOR SCHOKOLADE")

First, the actual recipe:
1 9x13 Pan of brownies, baked
2 pkgs chocolate Mousse, prepared
1 large container Cool Whip
8 Heath Bars, crushed (or a pkg of Brickle Bits)
1 c pecans, chopped
Crumble the brownies and place 1/2 in a large bowl. Spread 1/2 of the mousse over the brownies pieces, then 1/2 of the Cool Whip, then Heath bar pieces then the nuts. Repeat all steps. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Serves 12-15 people. This is fun in a clear-glass bowl, so you can see the layers. I often do it in three layers instead of two.

Now, my reality:
  • instead of Mousse, I use instant chocolate pudding.
  • I like mini-chocolate chips instead of the Heath Bars, simply because I am more likely to have them on hand.
  • I don't usually put the nuts in.

This is probably the Death By Chocolate that you remember. I should have taken a picture of it on Friday night, but wasn't thinking! And I'm not going to make it again just for a photo. My waistline couldn't take that!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:38 AM

    Frankly, I know it tastes great, but I don't think I'm ever going to make this version--I always associate it with my vision going black and intense pain!

    Instead, I like to use a combo of 1 white chocolate pudding & 1 cheesecake pudding mix instead of the chocolate ones, and 1 9x13 chocolate cake instead of brownies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:05 PM

    I used the chocolate cake this time too. I think I still prefer the brownies. But the other pudding flavors sound REALLY good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this, Mom. It's too bad that Darcy's not eating any sugar right now, or else we would whip it up right now. Or maybe we can have it for my special event coming up next month... More on that to come in our blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete