Monday, April 26, 2010

My Spring Project...

I'm grateful for all Catherine has done to make her yard beautiful.  I was inspired to make some of my own upgrades. 
The corner garden has been out-of-control for the past couple of years--overgrown with an ugly color of daylily.  Full of weeds--despite my periodic efforts to regain control.  The flowers not blooming well because of overcrowding and pests.
So I determined to do something major.
Dig out the bronze daylilies.
Put in a pathway.
Set the bench.
Move the birdbath.
Lay down weed-barrier cloth.
Cover it with mulch.
It was nice having the bench for a moment's rest while laboring in the garden.
The first thing I realized was that with the garden space defined, it is much more manageable!
The bench is beneath the lilacs, with shade and that unparalleled scent.
They are in full bloom right now.
Maybe we should have a backyard party soon.
On another gardening note,
I'm leaning towards planting the tomatoes in the trampoline spot.
Either that or put the fire pit out there with some chairs.
Except no one else in the family likes to have campfires.  :(
Sitting out in the garden,
I've noticed more birds in the yard.
Some purple finches are building a nest in an arbivitae.
A pair of cardinals is building somewhere nearby, as are a pair of robins and goldfinches.
It is nice to have trees large enough to attract the birds.
I even saw a real eastern bluebird the other day--with its peach-colored breast and vibrant blue.
I just hope I make time this summer to continue to actually enjoy my gardens!

4 comments:

  1. That looks lovely! I think you're spring is a bit ahead of our spring. Can we please join you for your garden party?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. catherine6:21 PM

    I love what you've done with it. It looks so inviting and charming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow the gazebo and side garden look so great! It makes me so excited to one day have a garen of my own. :-) I'll have to e-mail you with my questions since I have such a black thumb. I try though. maybe one day i'll be as good as you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha- you mean nobody that's still at home likes to have campfires :)

    ReplyDelete