Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Some things familiar, and some not...

As I was going through my recipe file on the computer (how I miss my cookbooks!)
I saw Darcy's recipe for buttermilk syrup.   I realized we have all the ingredients we needed for it.
This is what is left of a batch after our Sunday evening pancake dinner.
Need I say, it was a hit?   We did have to make one substitution--soured (with vinegar) milk,
instead of buttermilk, but it was still delicious and tasted like home.

Another "home" recipe was Jamie's granola.  Breakfast cereals are pricey.
We get tired of eggs for breakfast.
Yeah for granola!  (And it's been a nice snack food too!)
By the way, that is our $50 toaster.  I know!  You could get a similar quality
for $10 at Walmart in the USA (and it would be made in China),
but here, we've only found two models for sale, and it didn't matter
which store we went to, it was still $50.  It had better last for 3 years!
 And now, to the unusual.  We have really been enjoying the yogurt variety here.
The consistency and flavor is very similar to what we enjoyed
in France.  Not so sweet.
And we've found some interesting combinations.  
This label is from one of those.  I bought it for the pineapple.
I didn't notice, until eating it, that grain is also pictured. 
 There were actually soft wheat berries in it!  And it was very good.
 We haven't yet tried the pumpkin/mango one sitting in the fridge.
And I just had to buy and try the snake oil hand lotion.  
It's very thick--reminds me of lanolin--but smells very good.
I wonder, is it REALLY snake oil?
(Weren't traveling snake oil salesmen the ultimate quacks?  back in the 1800's? 
 I'd always assumed there was no such thing.)  
And, if you were wondering--because you have an inquiring mind--the
product behind the lotion is the tissue "box".  
Seems that cellophane packages work just as well
and make less garbage.  Fine with me!

2 comments:

  1. I remember in Estonia having yoghurt that had grapefruit and wheat berries...surprisingly good! And it's no replacement for your cookbooks, but have you tried allrecipes.com? You can type in the ingredients you have, or just search for a regular recipe. I use it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to second the suggestion to use allrecipes.com. There is an app for it on your iPhone, and Darcy and I use it all the time. In fact, (brace yourselves), Darcy's buttermilk syrup was from a recipe we found on there. It had 5 stars from 4000 people, so we knew it had to be good. :)

    ReplyDelete