Sunday, October 23, 2011

Food for thought...

Asian Pears.
Being from the inland part of the U.S., and being unadventurous when purchasing fruit,
 I haven't had much contact with unusual fruits.
Until now.
And I've discovered that there are quite a few different kinds of asian pears.
Some are very sweet.  Others, crunchy and dense--almost like an apple. 
Round, light yellow, brown, green--all pears.
 Then a week ago, our driver bought us some new ones while we were in Tianjin.
About the same size as a clementine (or mandarin (!) orange),
and kind of looks like a big crab apple.
But it's a pear.  With a pineapple-like flavor.

 And--changing the subject--I finally finished the Easter 
cross-stitch I began back in late winter.   When I started it, I didn't think I'd get it done
until next spring, but I've had more time than I knew I'd have back then.
 And I've found out that the Chinese are BIG on cross-stitch.
There are shops with huge kits (the size of big screens TVS!)
of art work.  Now those WOULD take years to do.
But I learned something.
They use a special marking pen (washable ink),
and draw in all the grid marks.
 Revelation!
That means you could start anywhere,
and check accuracy quickly and easily!
I didn't want to go find the special pen (1. call the driver, 2. go to the walking street,
3. find the shop, 4. try to communicate that I only wanted to buy the pen,
5. end up having to buy a kit or be told they are not allowed to sell the pens 
before 6. coming home--no wonder
sometimes it is easier to just "make do"),
so I did the markings with a pencil.
I'm already loving it!

1 comment:

  1. catherine10:11 PM

    You finished the cross-stitch! Wonderful! I would never have guessed that it would be big in China, either. I'll have to use the marking pen technique- that sounds so clever.

    The Asian pears sound delicious in their variety, too--I'm starting to salivate...

    ReplyDelete