Friday, March 25, 2011

A Medical Revolution...

Last summer, while on vacation in Idaho, I developed an infection and needed a prescription.  I called my doctor back in Iowa--but it had been over a year since I had been seen, so they couldn't help out, even though this infection was in line with my past history.

Luckily, my sister has found a treasure.  Within an hour, I was at her doctor's office, and he had actually talked with Terry in making the appointment.  What? It is nearly impossible to talk to my doctor!  It takes 15 minutes just to get a receptionist on the line.

 Dr. Brook took my medical history directly--typing into his lap top as I answered his questions; he agreed it was a simple case solved by a simple prescription of antibiotics.  Fifteen minutes later I was driving away WITH the Cipro.  He keeps a basic pharmacy at his office (but no narcotics).  Total cost?  $35.  ($32--office visit and $3 for the antibiotics).  I could have had a $5 discount if I had paid in cash (I had to use a check).
No insurance involved.

This experience opened my eyes.  There are so many problems with having doctors that take medical insurance.  Costs are so high!

With the same infection and my regular doctor,
the investment in time alone would be great--15 minutes to get the appointment.  Maybe it would be the same day, 
maybe the next day.  An hour+ at the appt. (minimum, counting waiting time).  They always insist on a lab culture (to cover all bases).  (Another hour, at least)
And once the result is back, THEN I get the prescription
and have to go to a pharmacy.  
Total costs?  Doctor--$125
Lab--$30+
Prescription--$5
Some of these costs would be "reduced" by our insurance, and then we would pay the rest, until our deductible is met.
Hmmm.  $35 vs $150+  Which should I prefer?

I'm on the hunt for a good, old-fashioned doctor (who even makes house calls!) like Dr. Brook here in Iowa!
He told me there is no national registry of doctors "off the grid" so to speak, but gave me three websites that might aid in my search.
So far, I haven't been successful.  But maybe you will be!
www. aapsonline.org
www.simplecare.com
www.cashdoctor.com
He also said that as national healthcare moves forward, there will be more doctors who quit taking insurance so that they can practice medicine. 

Good luck to us all!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds great. We have a 10-min clinic that we go to when we're sick, and it takes about 20 minutes total. of course, the visit is $65 (and insurance-billable), and we still have to go to a pharmacy, but it's so much better than going to a family physician. I think we would really like a cash doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't even know doctors like this exist! That is fantastic! I will have to look in to those websites. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete