Friday, March 02, 2007

They cancel school for this?

We went to bed last night with the wind howling and snow devils swirling in the light from the front porch. I was hoping school would have a delayed start (it is usually about a 2-hour delay). I like that--we get the relaxed feeling of a no-school day, but don't have to make it up in June.

I checked the cancellation list this morning at 6:30--was school cancelled or delayed? Or do I need to get the girls up because orchestra rehearsal is at 7:20? Drats! Our school district was NOT on the list.

So I woke up the girls, and read a chapter out of "Peter and the Starcatchers"--we read together every morning. I know, I'm spoiling the girls, but it does make it easier for them to roll out of bed when they've had a few minutes to stretch and slowly wake up. I'm just applying the Golden rule--doing for them what I would like to be able to do. But I digress.

Kevin shoveled out the driveway before heading off to work (he has a 7 a.m. meeting on Fridays), and there were higher drifts than he'd anticipated.

Looking outside, with snow falling and the wind still howling, I kept wondering about school. Finally, at 7, our schools were added to the cancellation list (that already had nearly every school system in the state on it). Fine! We're already up and eating breakfast. I would have loved to sleep in another 20 minutes this morning.

Now it is a little after 9 a.m. The winds are still howling, and some snow is drifting, but the sun is breaking through periodically and things don't look as bad as they did at 7 a.m. I'm still wishing they'd just had a 2-hour delay!


By the way, that black dot on the window is a lady bug. A live lady bug. It seems that last week when we had a couple of days of nice temps, a whole bunch of the bugs came back to life, inside our house. On a downstairs window there were about 15 of them crawling around. We've been finding them all winter, but they were usually dead. Or so I thought. I guess they just wanted a nice place out of the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment