Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Progress!

Something like two years ago, I borrowed this book from my mom, the keeper of all the genealogy books done by HER mom. I already had the narratives from the personal histories, but I didn't have all the pictures that had been included, that make the stories of my ancestors come alive. Naively, I thought it would be an easy task to scan the hundred or so photos, then incorporate them into the word documents. As it came time last summer to go to Idaho on vacation (and to return the book), I hurriedly scanned everything, only to realize that I would be lost without the context of the book. I had to keep it until I got the project done.
During the fall, I dabbled in the project, doing some photo editing, but other projects got in the way.
Right after coming back to Iowa after Christmas, I began in earnest, spending hours each day editing the photos, importing them to the text, finding out that the stories I had were slightly different from the ones here--and so I had to go through line by line to make sure I had every thing done accurately. The last thing you want in family history is the mythology that arises through inaccurate record-keeping!

I'd like to say the project is 100% done. I'd REALLY like to! But I think 80% is more like it. Aunt Terry just sent some old photos she has scanned, and there are some that really need to be included with these histories.
At least I can say that I am really getting to know Word 2007 well!

3 comments:

  1. Neat! I can't wait to see this when you are finally 100% finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait either! I already treasure the family history binder that we got for Christmas a few years back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. catherine5:20 PM

    I've used that binder a lot. That was a great gift. It will be fun to see the 100% finished project.

    ReplyDelete