Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Galette des Rois

In France, there is a lovely tradition of serving an almond-flavored tort in January to celebrate the arrival of the Wise Men after the birth of the Savior.
Inside is a porcelain figure, and whoever gets it puts on a crown and is the king or queen.
With the encouragement of Deborah, I made one for a small gathering of friends. It was simple to make, using puff pastry and marzipan, and delicious! I didn't have a small porcelain figure to put in it, so used a dry bean instead.
Kevin got the piece with the bean.
The next time I make it, I want to try using phyllo dough
so I can brush on some butter between layers--Kevin said he missed that.
Anything for my sweetheart!

1 comment:

  1. Ha- yours turned out so beautifully! I didn't score mine deep enough, I think. But it still tasted great!

    ReplyDelete