Thursday, February 16, 2012

One of my blessings...

Someone recently reminded me of the power of remembering, 
at the end of each day, five blessings.  As I've done this, some days it has been hard to keep it to five--and that's good!  Other days, it is hard to find five, and that's when I know I need to be more grateful.  
(It's probably been a day that, locally, is referred to as a "China Day"--when all the differences seem more overwhelming 
than usual.)

But one blessing that keeps coming up on my list is...
my daily swim.  I love to swim, and finally I am living in a place where it is convenient to swim whenever I want to! 
And only a 5 minute walk away.  Of course, I do have to cross 8 lanes of traffic, but that just boosts the adrenaline and adds to the work-out effect.
In Cedar Falls, I could swim during the summer at the outdoor pool, weather-permitting.  Or I could swim at 5 a.m. or 9 pm at the junior high (two days a week).  I'm not a morning person and would probably drown at 5 a.m. (and certainly couldn't roust myself out of bed on a consistent basis), and I'm in my home-cocoon at 9 p.m.  Who wants to go get wet at that hour? 

My favorite time to swim?  
Mid-afternoon, about 2:30--after I've tamed my to-do list but before the kids get home from school.
This pool is so inviting!  
The pool is heated--and when it's cold outside, little tendrils of fog waft upwards.  The water is very clear (none of that greenish tinge
the city pool would get and which made me 
wonder just how many chemicals they had to put in to
counteract the "left-behind" from lots of little kids). 
Often, I get to swim alone, and I love disturbing the mirror surface, watching the gentle ripples fan out as I begin my swim.
The pool's length is the same as the width of a
competition pool, so it's fine for doing laps.
 As I leave the dressing room (all granite and marble) and go up to the pool there is a foot bath to step into.  Rarely, the water has just been changed and is warm.  It's a pleasant surprise when it isn't icy cold.  But after the cold water, it's easy to look forward to
getting into the warm pool.
As I am swimming, I almost have to pinch myself.
Is this really me?  Idaho farm girl Rosemary,
swimming at a beautiful hotel in China?
Yup!  And I'm a happy camper.

4 comments:

  1. The simple things in life...... You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. catherine7:39 AM

    The pool looks really, really appealing! The water is so blue and the skylight above is so nice. And all the better that it's so uncrowded. I'm glad you get to enjoy it so often and that it works so well into your schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Positive and uplifting! I love it in this world with so much negative being repeated again and again. Shock and awe news how sad to care more about ratings. Thanks for sharing. I loved the time I lived in Taiwan as it makes you realize how blessed we are and do not appreciate fully. I'm a Iowa Farm girl never would have dreamed my family and blessings.
    Good to know your doing great!
    Judy B. Feb. 18th 5:18 P.M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That sounds amanzing Aunt Rosemary! It makes me wish we had an indoor pool nearby to swim the stress away. So happy you have something you enjoy and is just for you!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete