Thursday, February 23, 2012

And you thought America was polluted?

The first thing I noticed about China was the dirt. Or maybe it was the smell.
They were both there, right from the beginning.  At least during the summer it rained and
cleaned things off every week or so.  During this winter we've not had much moisture and
the grime is growing.  The air smells sooty.  Dusty.  Tinged with something that doesn't smell healthy.  
On the bad days, pregnant women, children and old people are warned to stay indoors.  The rest of us are warned to not exercise heavily.
 The landscape seems monochromatic--everything is some shade of brownish-gray
as the murk from the air coats everything.
 Even when the skies are blue and fairly clear, there is the low-lying murk.  
These two smokestacks are silhouetted by the setting sun as I was watching from my 
apartment.  And that's not just steam.  
Coal-burning power plants dot the land.  I've counted about a dozen on the drive
in to where we go to church.  Some of them are in less-populated areas,
 but others are right in the middle of apartment buildings.  I don't know if the
idea of zoning laws has taken hold here.
 People say that it is SO much better than it was 15 years ago.  It was 
impossible to see the sky back then.  Still, as I'm breathing this murk,
I wonder what it's doing to my lungs.
 Yes, China exports a lot to the US and other nations, but they are paying
the price for all this industry in the polluting of their land and people, 
and any of the rest of us who happen to be here!

2 comments:

  1. Carl went to Guangxho (I know the spelling is horrible, but I can't even get it close enough to look up) and several other places in China for a total of 3 weeks in 2002. He made the same comments about how dirty the air was. He was sicker than nasty sick when he got home coughing and his ears were terrible. It really pulled a number on him. I hope you have an air filtration system in your apartment and I hope your lungs hold up well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, sorry to intrude! My name is William and im LDS from Scotland. In about a months time i'll be moving to Tianjin to start work as an English teacher and i would really appreciate it if you could give me some information on the church in Tianjin. location, how to get there, etc. Send me an email at williamgilmour@googlemail.com.
    Thanks,
    Will

    ReplyDelete