Thursday, May 05, 2011

Spring Cleaning

       In doing some spring cleaning, I came across a a sheet of handwritten notes about home decorating and organizing. It contained a quote, supposedly from Winston Churchill:  "You shape your environment, and then your environment shapes you." 


       How true!  As I have tossed all kinds of things I was holding on to "just in case" I needed them, I felt so liberated.  I've lived with too much stuff (as Kevin very kindly reminds me, periodically), for too long and if has come to feel very confining.  When you have stuff, you have to think about it and plan around it.  Being more of a minimalist sounds nice--I just wonder if I have the courage to let go.  I want to shape my environment to be comfortable but not FILLED.


      I've flirted with this idea before--and purged a lot of belongings at various times.  But soon things start accumulating again.   Things people pass on because they are too good to throw away.  Things on sale.  Things!  My mom said once that to keep from accumulating too much stuff, you either have to move every few years, or have a house fire.  I guess I'd rather not go the fire route.  And I hate moving.  That leaves being brave and letting things go.  And being happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment