Monday, January 22, 2007

A 4th-grade Fieldtrip

Last Thursday, Alice's class got to go snow shoeing. Luckily, it snowed 5 inches just a couple of days before. As soon as I found out about this field trip, I signed up! I've never been snow shoeing before.

We had a perfect day--about 27 degrees (not too cold, and not too warm).

The snowshoes were "modern". I was a little disappointed they weren't made of wood and rawhide. But they were effective. Once we got the basics down, off we went. The basics? Just lift your knees like you are marching, so that the anti-skid gripper underneath doesn't catch on fallen tree branches, etc. and trip you.
By the end of an hour in the woods, everyone was hot. I pulled off my mittens and unzipped my coat. Some of the kids were getting a little tired. Not me! All that working out on the treadmill has served me well. No achy muscles, no fatigue. This was an easy workout. (I'm up to doing 2 and a half miles at 12-minute mile pace--not really fast, but I'm running about 25 out of 30 minutes! I still can't believe I am actually running--I always hated running!)



No comments:

Post a Comment