Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Snow!

With a second winter underway, I was pleased to actually see snow this year. 
Last year was SO dreary--all gray, dirty, and so cold.  
The wind is always blowing 20 miles per hour and is always in your face no matter
which direction you are walking.  Now, I've lived in Iowa for 30 years and am no stranger to cold temperatures--the difference is, I seldom had to walk anywhere other than to the mailbox, or from my car to the door of my destination.  When it was time to walk the dog, if it was really cold, I'd just put her coat on her and send her out--she wasn't going to stray anywhere.
Here, walking is a major part of life.
 When it snows, there are no snow plows for the streets.  
Scores of workers with bamboo brooms or small shovels scurry about.
So far, we've only had a few inches but it has been so cold that it has stayed.
 Snow is rare enough here that suddenly snowmen appeared everywhere!  In front of stores, on sidewalks.
 And it wasn't children building them--it was the snow removal workers.
 Snow is so cleansing and magical.  Suddenly the world is a quieter, cleaner place.
But I hope it's gone before March!

No comments:

Post a Comment