Tuesday, August 16, 2011

LDS Church, Tianjin-Style



 Going to church is a big part of our lives.  In my whole lifetime, the only times I've missed are when I've been sick, had a new baby, or was tending a sick child.  And we missed church when we traveled here to China, because we didn't arrive until Sunday evening--even though we left America early on Saturday.  Sunday just isn't Sunday without taking part in worshiping at church.  When we lived in France, it was comforting to know that the Church is the same, even if the language was different.  The same lesson manuals are used, the same hymns are sung, the same format of meeting is followed.  And the members of the congregation feel as familiar as those I've known for years.  There is an instant community when you gather with other members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.    So, it might be an understatement to say that we were ecstatic to find a branch of the Church here in Tianjin, and it is English-speaking.  Knowing there was a branch made the decision to move here that much easier.
   The branch meetings are held in a large home that has been converted to a church. There are no markings on the outside--no familiar church insignia.  You have to know where you are going, and the exact address, because there are dozens of these homes in a crowded neighborhood.

 We had been told that it was a largish branch, with some 50 or 60 members.  But I only count 38 chairs, plus 6 chairs at the front.  I suppose at any given time, someone is traveling elsewhere. So the membership is quite fluid.

And, as to being in English, at least half of the members are Korean or Taiwanese, so sometimes prayers are said in Korean or Chinese.  The sacrament prayers are in Chinese--because the priest is a 16-year-old that speaks some English but is more comfortable in his native language.
This past Sunday, our 2nd Sunday at this branch,  Kevin and I were assigned talks for Sacrament Meeting.  We were told to speak for 15 minutes each.  I spoke first and took exactly 15 min.  Then we found out that Kevin was the only other speaker, and he had almost 30 minutes to fill.  He did a great job of it!  Oh, and I played the piano.   Elizabeth and Alice gave the opening and closing prayers.
 I also got to teach the Relief Society lesson.  It went very well.  I haven't taught adults for about 6 years, having been in Young Women and Nursery, but these sisters were willing to discuss, and we had a good time.  One thing I have to get used to in our church meetings is the constant drone of a translator in the back, helping someone to know what is being said.

In addition to a "good news minute" at the beginning of RS, there was a sharing table with books, packets of taco seasoning, fruit roll-ups and the like.  If you had something to give, you placed it on the table, and took what you wanted.  If the books had a name in them, then just read it and return.  Otherwise you could have it.  I thought this was a great way for those longing for things hard to find to have some cravings satisfied.  What a friendly thing to do!

After church, the youth were hanging out together.  They've already made friends. This is Ellie and Veronica, who is leaving this week for BYU-Provo.   And I think Ellie wouldn't mind departing for home now as well.

We are happy to have a church-family now.  We are grateful for our membership in a worldwide church.  The school the girls go to is about 2 miles from the church, and many of the parents and teachers have invited us to attend their Christian Fellowship group. I was so happy to be able to say, "Thank you, but we have a congregation of our own church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, right here in Tianjin!"



4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you are living in China until today! I am so excited for you. I'm minoring in Mandarin here at BYU-I; I worked in the Chinese program on my mission in Salt Lake and adore the language, culture, and people. It's really great that you can tell people you belong to the Church, too; a lot of the people we taught or were involved with talked about how the local magistrates in their home areas wouldn't allow them to even mention religion, even just to say what religion you were, and we heard all sorts of bad news about people's families who were also members still living in China being treated badly. It's good to see some positive, and to see the buds that are beginning to blossom all over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I stumbled upon your blog post while I was looking for information on the branch in Tianjin. My wife and I will be moving there in a month and I was wondering if you had any contact info? We need to figure out where and when the branch meets in Tianjin so that we can attend haha.

    Thank you,

    Ryker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you moving here! I would be happy to send more information. You can contact me at baileymom@gmail.com.

      Delete
  3. Hello, I will be also moving to the Tianjin University of Techmology in a couple weeks, so I wil be glad to have more infos about the location and how i could make it to church.
    Thanks

    Stephane, Africa, Ivory Coast

    ReplyDelete