Monday, October 04, 2010

General Conference

I'm always a little sad when General Conference is over.  For the past month I've looked forward to this--to the messages from our prophet and the apostles, and for the time to just sit and relax in my own home.  We recently switched to a cable company bundle (phone, internet and TV), and the deciding factor was the inclusion of BYU TV.  
Sorry, no pictures to post today. 
I should have taken a picture of Elizabeth bent over a water color painting she worked on during the sessions.
Or of Alice as she embroidered a pillowcase.  (Working on a project for her future home also qualifies as a Personal Progress project).  I was proud of her for also taking notes.
I worked on cross-stitch and some other little projects that didn't take much thought--just something to keep my hands busy when I wasn't taking notes.  I find I'm able to listen better when I have some thing to do.
In talking with Catherine, she had a cross-stitch project,
and Deborah worked on a cross-stitch project she started years ago.
As Brigham Young was quoted as saying, "Never do something you don't want your children to do."  
My favorite talks?  Pres. Uchtdorf's talk on focusing on the most important things.
Elder Holland's talk about all the faithful people everywhere.  Made me wonder if I'm observant enough of the needs around me.
I appreciated Elder Scott's talk about building character.  I can see areas in my life where I have grown, and areas where I still need attention..
I enjoyed the validation of what Kevin and I are doing as parents in Elder Lawrence's talk. 

Pres. Monson's talk on gratitude was certainly on target.  There's a lot there that I need to remember.
Don't focus on what we lack, focus on what we have.
I've found Grandma Bailey to be a good example of this.  Instead of focusing on the trials of widow-hood, she gets busy.  She's indexed over 50,000 names since Christmas.
She plants a garden that feeds half the ward.
She focuses on the small miracles that were evident when her husband passed away.
She lives a life of gratitude.
Once again, she is my example.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed all the exact same talks as you did aunt rosemary. Elder Lawrence's talk helped to keep me focused on how we should be as our kids grow. I hope I can be as in tuned with the spirit as he was with his kids. You are so right about Grandma living a life of gratitude. She never once complains when I talk with her.

    ReplyDelete