Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Our new rain "barrels"...

One side benefit of our gazebo is the opportunity to save rainwater. 
I'd never thought about doing it before--here, in the land of (mostly) abundant rainfall--yet, I have long been aware of the fact that when we did need to water our lawn or garden
that an inch of city water with its clorination and hard minerals did NOT equal an inch of rainfall.
When we set up the gazebo, we noticed the grommeted holes, two on each side, and wondered why they were there.  We soon found out.  They are "relief" holes.  Without them, the pooled water would get heavy and tear the strips that attach the tarp to the framework.
It wasn't until this week, when we've had about 5 inches of rain in 3 days, that I hit on the idea of using that water.This morning, as the rain started pouring,I put a bucket under each relief hole--and the buckets were full in about 20 minutes.
The rain gauge showed 1 inch of rain.
Now, we're seriously investigating getting rain barrels.  I'd LOVE to have all that soft, great rain water for watering my gardens!  Now, I just need the actual rain to stop ...

3 comments:

  1. Until just recently I understand that it was illegal to catch water in barrels here in Colorado. Crazy water rights issue.

    Looks like you've got a pretty good system going so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. catherine3:23 PM

    I've looked at getting rain barrels, but first we'd have to get rain gutters on the house! So probably not this year, either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just set up a gazebo--about $100, which is less than your rain gutters would be.

    ReplyDelete