Sunday, August 30, 2009

I had a great Friday!

Some days start out on the wrong foot, don't get any better, and by the end of the day, I lament that I hardly got anything done that I wanted (or needed) to. It was like I was stuck in slow-motion all day.

Then somedays just go well. It is almost like I have extra time, as everything goes smoothly and at the end of the day I am amazed at all that was accomplished. It couldn't have gone better even if I had a clone helping.
Friday was one of those good days.
I needed to go to the public library to finish some genealogy research --I had a question on one name that I wanted cleared up before taking them to the temple on Saturday.
As I got there, the Book Nook was open--not its usual time.
They had a sale on fantasy/sci-fi books. 5 for a $1. Even the hardcovers. There were lots of David Eddings, a Timothy Zahn, and before I knew it, I had 20 books! If you know of any authors you like, I could go Monday and look for them.
Then I went to do research. You see, at the public library, you can get Ancestry.com for free.
For the next 3 hours, I searched and re-searched censuses from 1870 to 1930.
In the "old days", that would have required YEARS of ordering microfilms from SLC.
And I found some great things,
like the sister of my great-great-grandmother, Anna Moran.
She came from Ireland, with 5 siblings, but we only knew the names of 3 of the others.
Two were missing.
I found one of them, Ellen Moran.
And I found more children in some of the families.
It was exhilarating!
But wait, there's more!
Kevin got the washing machine fixed that evening, so we could catch up on the laundry.
I was able to mow the lawn (the rain had stopped)
and we went to a wedding reception at the church.
Yes, it was a very good day!

2 comments:

  1. That's wonderful Mom! Wish we had a book nook here in Provo- but maybe it's a good thing. We're not exactly at an accumulation stage of life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. catherine2:58 PM

    Our new library has a great space for a book nook, but the selection hasn't improved yet. I'm just not interested in 50-yr old southern cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete