Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Garbanzo Bean Soup

Sorry, no picture, because we ate the soup before I thought to grab the camera.
This recipe has been shared on WHO radio every fall for the past 20 years.
This year, I decided to try it.
2 cans garbanzo beans
1 16 oz can stewed tomatoes (or, 6 tomatoes)
6-8 potatoes, diced (no peeling necessary)
1 green pepper, diced
1 bermuda onion, diced (I used another sweet onion)
1 lb bacon, diced (cut with scissors)
2 C chopped ham, diced
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp sweet basil
3/4 tbsp chili powder (to taste)
2 bay leaves
salt & pepper to taste
Simmer in a large pot 4-5 hours. If it gets too thick, water can be added.
I cooked the soup in the crockpot. I put it on high for 4 hours, then low on 4 hours.
***
It smelled wonderful as it was cooking, but eating it was Yummmmmmy!
PS. The recipe said it would serve 4-6, but in our family, it would be more like 12. The crockpot was FULL.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:03 PM

    Well, you sold me! We tried it, even though I didn't have any potatoes and made it in 1/2 hour. I had to grate some cheese into it so the kids would eat it all, but Aaron and I really liked it!

    It's a great fall recipe... post more if you have them!

    ReplyDelete