Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Hydrology, Iowa-style

Ryan is studying hydrology in the islands as the emphasis for his Masters Degree. I grew up in the West where irrigating and moving water where it needs to go is an everyday part of life. Thus, when we had a nice thaw, I couldn't resist going out with a shovel and making channels so all that water could drain off into the storm sewer. It is satisfying seeing water go where you want it to go.
Kevin first dug this channel--our own version of Etretat (on the coast of Normandy).
The day after this thaw, the temperatures dropped again below zero, and any leftover water turned into ice. I was glad our area of the street didn't have that problem!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:22 AM

    I love the ice "sculpture"! It brings a little French flavor to the Iowa landscape...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:14 PM

    Yea I know whatcha mean.

    ReplyDelete