Saturday, November 11, 2006

Maybe next time, I'll just donate money...?

Since I am such a novice at this, it seems like it has taken forever, this week, to get to this point.

Creating the pattern (Kevin helped here): 2 hours x 2 people= 4 hours
Mixing the dough, rolling it out, cutting and baking: 4 hours
Shopping for the candy (3 different stores): 2 hours
Making the practice house so I could remember how to do it: 3 hours










Decorating the real house: 5 hours (and it isn't totally done yet). I have to make a decision...
Go with the Tudor cottage (with yard decorations, of course!) Or,











go with the two-story English Shakespearean-era house?












The single-story cottage would be easier to transport...

I know one thing, the next one I do will go much faster! (IF I ever do another one.)

I made rectangular lollipops for the windows. The shutters are peppermint Andes Mints. The exposed timbers are ribbons of melted chocolate. I tried a number of things for the exposed timbers--sliced tootsie rolls, chocolate Twizzlers, or just leaving them bare. The chocolate ribbons make it look sooo delicious!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:35 AM

    Wow, your house really looks good. The one-story and two-story versions. That is a tough descision to make. Is there a way to transport the two-story in two pieces, and then cement frost the two together at the place? And is the first story in any danger of collapsing? That would be sad. But still, really god job, everyone who was involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I am totally impressed! Those look so professional! I love the chocolate ribbons - and the roof looks so fun and decorative. Whoever gets this house will be L-U-C-K-Y!

    It would have been easier to donate the money - but you have to admit you had fun with this project, right?

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:20 PM

    I am very impressed by how elaborate it all looks--with the shingles and the exposed beams, and everything! I like both sizes equally well--they look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete