Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Gardening Fever

The weather in our part of China does an amazing change from winter to summer in
April.  Suddenly blossoms pop out of all kinds of trees, and 
it's time to go to the gardening store.  That's done a little differently here.
First, I needed some containers, and ceramics aren't expensive here
so we went to a vendor that has been fair in the past.
Her shop is just one small section of the building.  If I see a pot in the next aisle
that I like, I have to deal with a different vendor.  And of course, there are 
no listed prices, so you have to ask the price for each piece.  And then ask for the "friend" price.
We had a woman with us who is from Singapore, but of Chinese heritage, and suddenly the prices of everything were about half of what they were when we were just Americans (who are all "rich" and therefore should be charged more than regular Chinese.  I would agree that most Americans are better off than most Chinese, and I don't mind paying a little extra, 
but it never feels good to feel "taken"). 
 This young woman tied together my purchase,

 which made it home safely.  I filled the back of the minivan with plants (for inside to
help purify the air), and bedding plants: petunias, verbena, marigolds, coleus, etc. 
Having some dirt to play in has probably been the most important thing for me (next to having my kitchen stuff) to feeling content in my new home.
I keep looking out on my growing plants and I'm happy!
Having the new flowers all around the city has helped as well.

I was very excited to see the landscaping commence
 for the new buildings across our courtyard.
 The process was eye-opening.  Holes for the trees were marked, then
the trees brought in on a truck with small root-balls, and just dumped.
But it looks like the trees are living--at least all the ones that have been
watered.  Then came planting peonies:  hundreds of them.  Again, they were
just dumped in the area to be planted.
Bedding plants aren't put in flats and cute little 6-packs here.  They are in individual
soft plastic containers, with dirt that looks like gray cement.
Not every plant survives, but with hundreds planted, apparently, that's no problem.
I'm looking forward to the finished landscape.

1 comment:

  1. I could use some of those pots! Just started a bonsai collection (we bought 2 and collected 4 more on a fishing trip) China is so much fun... haha Kailey and I are going back in august for another 5 months. This time we will be in guangzou, located right between shanghai and nanjing (1 hour train to each of those cities)

    ReplyDelete