Monday, April 18, 2011

Springtime in Iowa

As birds sing outside this morning, I just have to say how grateful I am for spring to return!
 I am so grateful for the snow to be gone.  We had a light dusting of it on Saturday morning but it was melted by noon.  I felt sorry for those families attending soccer games for their children, as a very stiff northern wind had to be just awful to deal with.
 The first crocuses bring tiny spots of color--and so much joy!--to a very gray landscape.  Once all the snow was gone, I realized that our Iowa "world" was monochromatic:  dark brownish-gray bare trees.  Light brownish-gray dormant grass, bushes and shrubs.  I almost missed the variation of white snow.
***
Alice has been busy in her 8th grade FCS (Food & Consumer Science) class.  She had to sew one item--a pair of cotton sleep pants, but there were a couple of other options available for the students who wanted to get extra credit.
So she also sewed a felt hat.
 And a baby seal.
This past weekend, she worked on a new skirt.  I think she's well on her way! (She did still want me to help her with the zipper.  Next time, I'm sure she'll get to do that as well.)

1 comment:

  1. The seal is so cute! Way to sew, Alice!

    ReplyDelete