Monday, August 18, 2008

When Tonsils Turn Against You

On Friday morning, I took Alice to have her tonsils removed.
"No food or drink after midnight. Arrive at 7:20 a.m."
The outpatient surgical unit is attached to a group of doctors' offices, so it isn't in a hospital, and doesn't smell like a hospital. The nurses were very nice and spent a lot of personal time with Alice, addressing any concerns she had. They used a topical anesthetic before putting in the IV. They did everything they could to make this as easy as possible. They even let me go with her into the operating room and be with her until she fell asleep with the anesthesia.
Then it was only a half hour before the doctor came out to tell me those tonsils had been HUGE and there was no option but to have them removed.
Also, the adenoids did not need any further work.
As Alice came up out of the anesthesia, she would give such big grins at me, but she wouldn't let me take a picture post-surgery. I fully understand. I wouldn't want any post-surgical pictures of me either! (It would look worse than any passport photo!).
She's been surviving on popsicles, pudding, ice cream, applesauce, instant mashed potatoes, soup, and fruit smoothies.
The doctor prescribed liquid Lortab, so she has been a bit on the loopy side, but the pain is better that way.
On the up side, on Saturday she watched a marathon of Fred Astaire movies on TV.
On Sunday, she didn't want to stay home by herself and went to church with us. After the first hour, she said she could make it through the whole block. And she did! But after a quick lunch she slept 4 hours straight.
She's hoping to be able to attend school when it starts on Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:43 PM

    Well that experience sounds so nice, let's all get our tonsils out. I love ice cream, popsicles, applesauce, etc. I'm next!

    ReplyDelete