Friday, April 27, 2007

The Bailey Hotel

Wow, I have some time this morning to get caught up on some of the things I've wanted to blog!

Now, on our front door (which I painted white last fall, after being dark green), a pair of finches have built a nest (at the top of the wreath).
It is too high for me to see into the nest, so one morning when the bird flew off the nest, I reached up with the camera and snapped a picture. Three eggs!
Then a day or two later, four eggs.

We're waiting for the eggs to hatch now. And the finches have been able to keep their nest hidden from the sparrows. Some years we have to remove large sparrow eggs, and even once, a starling egg. It's fun having nature right at our front door.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:59 PM

    What neat pictures of the nest and eggs! That is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:26 PM

    I do have to wonder at the overall intelligence of birds that build their nest on an object that moves suddenly from time to time! That wreath must be fixed quite well to the door...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:09 PM

    I have a powerful magnet with a hook (from Hobby Lobby), so the top part of the wreath does not move too much. /when I want to go outside, I open the door a couple of inches, look the bird in the eye, and wait for her to fly away before opening the door further.

    ReplyDelete